Adsense

Friday, April 8, 2011

Lunch at GEM Indian Restaurant

Just last week, I went to Public Bank with my father to put a fix deposit account with combined names in Penang. After we were done at the bank, my father saw this spanking new Indian restaurant nestled in the cross junction of the road opposite Public Bank and I decided to treat him here as I have done with my mum. Above is the Thali Vegetarian Meal consisting of 10 different dishes that I ordered when my mum was around to have the joint name for the Fixed Deposit account. Ranging from curries to briyarni rice to coconut milk dish and vegetables in little aluminium containers, this is a nice selection from the usual Chinese fare. It comes with a free fruit juice drink that is peach orange in color.

This is what my dad had which was a little more expensive at RM 12.90 or USD 4.30. It has fewer vegetable choices but comes with fish or chicken curry. Notice the banana leave underneath the containers and covering the large plate. It is the Indian culture to have their food served on banana leaves. And this is a genuine leaf, not some green plated surface as in some of the newer plates. 

This dish was taken on a separate occasion when I went to the bank with my dad this time around. He was fetching me to take photos of tennis court surface completed at Penang Sports Club to update the company web site and company profile. On that day, the GEM Indian restaurant was having a promotion and it was cheaper at around RM 6.00 with 8 dishes as seen above instead of RM 9.00 with 10 dishes as taken earlier. For the promotional set, there is no free fruit juice drink. 

As part of the Indian culture, statues are commonplace in most places like temples, restaurants, etc.  I don't know what this statue represent but it has certainly caught my attention. It is part of the deco of the place that I had dined recently during lunch at the same said restaurant. 

As an aside, I am happy that this blog has a Page Rank (PR) of 2 which I just discovered when I submitted it to take up paid posts. I must have done something right for the PR juice to come back. You might also be wondering why I put DianaTan.net on all the pictures here - suffice to say that DianaTan.net is my main blog and I am using my pictures here to promote my other blog that is making me money. This blog also makes me good side income from Google Adsense.

This is the ambience of the GEM Indian Restaurant opposite Public Bank and is located at 66 Bishop Street, 10200 Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia. You can contact them at 604-262 4070 to book a place. But I guess you can also just walk in and we almost had the whole place to ourselves except for 1 other diner at that time. That's because most employees prefer to eat at the nearby food cafes that serve hawker food that are much cheaper comparatively.

Here is another shot of the meals that I had with mum earlier. For both parents, it was my treat on different occasions with each of them individually. Knowing that I have more money in my savings, my parents tend to ask me to treat them now for the little favors they rendered to me. 

This is the picture hung up just above our table and I took the liberty to snap this shot as the overall ambience of GEM Indian Restaurant in Penang.






4 comments:

  1. I like the curries, great in taste, the one at Brickfields and Jalan Gasing, KL and Selangor. Lovely Indian ambiance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Nava, thanks for dropping by. I love Indian food when I am not coughing and the curries taste great. This place certainly has cost ambience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean cosy ambience. That's the auto respell feature of my iPhone which gives a different word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome cuisine. The thali represents Gujarati cuisine from western part of India.
    Indian Culture

    ReplyDelete