Adsense

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mix of Chinese, Japanese and Thai Cuisines in Penang


This photo was taken this afternoon during my lunch at a hawker food cafe along Penang Road which is famous for its wanton noodles. The are 2 types - dried as seen above with brown delicious soya sauce mixed with sesame seed oil or the soup type. This order was specially added with more vegetables for RM5 per plate. It has black shitake mushrooms, shredded chicken, 4 wanton sui-kow, green vegetables, char siew or barbequed red pigmented pork and a bowl of soup. The yellow noodles blend well with the sauce and it tasted scruptious yet enough to fill any stomachs.

This ala carte side dish was ordered from Sushi King consisting of my favorite red crab sticks lightly fried in Japanese batter for taste. I love the tangy seafood taste of the crab sticks that are a popular ingredient in sushi. There are several Sushi King outlets in Penang and this was taken at Gurney Plaza - an upmarket lifestyle shopping mall where I patronize frequently.


This is a pot of Japanese green tea with 2 beautiful small cups made from bone China. I sipped the warm green tea as I waiting for my main dish to arrive in Dragon-i restaurant that was just opened less than 1 month ago on the ground floor in Gurney Plaza.


This Hong Kong fried rice was ordered some time back at a popular food haunt in Northern Beach Cafe. The special fried rice has additional ingredients and vegetables to it which explains the higher price than normal for this tasty dish. This blog does not have any recipes as I don't cook even though I studied Home Science which includes sewing, cooking curries and baking cakes in my secondary school. I have the luxury not to cook and always dine out after work.


One of my favorite dishes is the pie tee (above) which is actually an edible small container made from fried batter that is filled with julienned turnips, carrots, shallots, dried shrimps and topped with eggs and chilly sauce for taste. The pie tee is enough for a delectable mouthful that melts in your mouth as you chew it. All the juices from the vegetables mix together to form a delicious meal together with the crunchyness of the fried batter container.


While sipping green tea at Dragon-i Chinese restaurant, my main order of seafood soup finally arrived with extra fish fillets without any calamari to reduce cholesterol intake. The soup was delicious and infused with all the flavors of the fish fillets, prawns, scallops with vegetables and sauces - that was brought to a constant boil before serving.


I simply love this Thai influenced flavored lorbak or marinated chicken with secret spices for that delicious bite in your mouth. This lorbak was ordered near Weld Quay in Penang at a Thai restaurant that is always full of regular patrons such as myself - simply for its affordable, fast service and delicious servings.

8 comments:

  1. Everything looks good but I especially like the wonton noodles and pie tee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Very nice. If you get a bloglist, can we swap links?
    http://www.bestasianfood.net/2010/07/mix-of-chinese-japanese-and-thai.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 8:30 in the morning here, but I don't mind having those, all of the above. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biren: Thank you for dropping by and the comments.

    Anna Chen: Sure, I would love to swap links with you. Just email me diana.tan(AT)gmail.com your url and name of food blog while you can add Best Asian Food to your blogroll.

    Cook with Madin: You are welcome and visit this blog more often for future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post...it all looks so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magic of Spice: Thank you for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You changed your URL, Diana? :)
    Sorry I forgot to reply your email.
    But I see that your blog's running well enough on its own.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. J2Kfm: I have a few blogs to my account; personal domain blogs and Blogger blogs.

    ReplyDelete